• Page:

TOPIC:

Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #267

• Yorkinmomma
  • Yorkinmomma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3. I have FMF Pro Edition v3.0.00. I have been using the program for a little while with no problems and now all the sudden I am getting an error when I open the program Error Loading Fontsets! I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and loaded all my font sets back and indexed them and it worked for a couple times and now I am getting the same error again and the only font set the shows up is the System fonts, all the other ones I made font sets for are gone. The majority of my fonts are on a flash drive and a DVD and I do have a lot of them. The specific error is in (C:/documents and settings/nan/application data/find my fonts/fmfdata/findmyfonts.fst.bin) As I said I have folders and folders of fonts and it's very time consuming reloading them all and indexing them all. I haven't installed any new programs on my computer since installing this program. Any idea of what to do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #268

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi,

the error you are getting means that the FindMyFont.fst.bin file is corrupt.

a) How this could happen?

Every time you open the "Fonts/FontSets Setup" dialog and modify/refresh or even change the "Active" flag of a fontset and press [OK], the whole fontsets are marked as "Modified" and must be saved.
The application saves the fontsets file only once: When you terminate the application.

If you shutdown your Windows XP without first exit Find my Font, the operating systems could terminate Find my Font at the exact moment the Application writes the FindMyFont.fst.bin file and the file becomes corrupt.

As a precaution: Please exit Find my Font before shutdown your OS.

b) How to Fix this?

If you go to the folder containing "FindMyFont.fst.bin" you may find 1-5 backup files with similar names, like:
FindMyFont.fst.bin.01.bak (most recent backup)
FindMyFont.fst.bin.02.bak
FindMyFont.fst.bin.05.bak (oldest backup)

If you receive an "Error Loading Fontsets!!" message you should:
a) Exit the Application
b) Copy (or rename) any of the above files to FindMyFont.fst.bin (overwrite FindMyFont.fst.bin)
c) Restart the Application

Those backup files keep your fontsets state of the last 5 times you saved them,
so you will probably find most of your fontsets/indexes intact without recreating them.

Please tell us if this solves your problem
Fivos

PS - Another Tip: "Find my Font" performs matching in 2 phases: On 1st phase it reads only the generated indices, but on 2nd phase it reads also some of the actual fonts. If you keep your fonts on Flash and/or DVD the 2nd phase will be a bit slower. More than that, if you perform a fontset refresh and the DVD is not in place, the associated fontset fonts will disappear.
If you have the required space, I recommend to move your fonts into a Non-Removable device which is always connected to your PC.

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO
Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #269

• Yorkinmomma
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Well, first off. I haven't shut down my computer at all since I started getting that error. If I open the program now, I don't get any error but there are none of my fontsets in the fontset list except the System ones. I have 1.02 gigs of fonts so I really don't want to put them all on my computer unless I have to. If I look in my indexes folder, all my indexes are in there, they just don't load. I have 3 back up files in the FMF data folder. FindMyFont.fst.bin.01.bak which shows 9.295kb, bin.02.bak which shows 0KB and bin.03.bak which shows 36kb. The file just called FindMyFont.fst shows 76kb. I haven't added any fonts to any of the fontset or refreshed any of them or done a create/update index. Now, when I uninstalled the first time it did ask if I wanted to save my fontsets and I said no. If I uninstall again and save the fontsets would this prevent me from having to load them all again? I'm a little unsure what you want me to do with the bak files as far as renaming them. I've attached a screen shot of my fmfdata folder and one of my indexes.
Attachments:

Re: Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #270

• harris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 51
Hi,

I understand that you don't want to re-index, so here's what I suggest:
  1. Close the Find my Font program
  2. Delete the file FindMyFont.fst
  3. Copy and paste the file FindMyFont.fst.bin.01.bak to your desktop (just a backup of your backup)
  4. Rename the original file FindMyFont.fst.bin.01.bak (not the desktop one) to FindMyFont.fst.bin (remove the .01.bak) (if you get a warning click OK/Yes)
  5. Now you should have a FindMyFont.fst file that's 9,296 KB
  6. Run the Find my Font program

You should be OK now.
If all works OK, open and close the program a couple of times (to create additional backups) and then delete the file from your desktop.

Let us know how it went :)

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments
Last edit: by harris.

Re: Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #273

• Yorkinmomma
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
So far so good on fixing my problem. I have opened and closed the program about 5 times and actually used it once to find a font. I hope it continues to run smoothly. Thank you for all the help! If I have this problem again at least I can do the same steps. Easier than deleting everything and starting from scratch.

Re: Error Loading Fontsets 11 years 5 months ago #274

• harris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 51
Glad to hear the program's working OK. :cheer:

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

FmF Ajax Search