• Page:

TOPIC:

can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin 8 years 8 months ago #646

• koeiekat
  • koeiekat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
  • Thank you received: 1
:sick:This morning my computer hung. After restart en starting FindMyFont, message popped up saying can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin.
In AppData\Roaming\FindMyFont\fmfdata I copied the can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin.BAK file, pasted in the same directory, deleted the existing FindMyFont.fst.bin Which now only contained the installed fonts) and renamed the copy of the FindMyFont.fst.bin.BAK to FindMyFont.fst.bin

Started FindMyFont again. I see all the fontsets loading but than again pops-up the same error message: can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin.

What am I doing wrong or what should I also do? All the indexes are still there it seems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin 8 years 8 months ago #647

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Koeiekat,

the file FindMyFont.fst.bin contains all FontSets definitions (the specific directory of each FontSet and all font-names).
It's automatically created on first Find my Font first run and it's automatically updated on application exit but only if you have changed something using the menu "Fonts" => "FontSets setup" (e.g. you added a new FontSet, you performed a FontSet refresh, or you changed a FontSet active/inactive state and you clicked on "OK" - not "Cancel").

The fix you performed by renaming one of the backup files to "FindMyFont.fst.bin" is correct (that's the reason we created the backup files).

So, how the "FindMyFont.fst.bin" file may disappear? (or more probably how it would be corrupted)
As I said if you modify any FontSet the "FindMyFont.fst.bin" file will be re-created on application exit. If you have a lot of fonts (>= 40-50.0000) this will take some time (a few secs).
If you shutdown Windows with Find my Font running, the O/S may terminate the application before completing the update of "FindMyFont.fst.bin" and this would result in a corrupted file.
So please close Find my Font before shutting down Windows (hibernate & sleep is OK).

If this file corruption happens every time you start/stop the application it's a good idea also to check if you have changed anything about your current Windows login user or file permissions.
The file "FindMyFont.fst.bin" is normally created on a directory where current user has full access (you can check this by creating any file in this directory, e.g. a new text file).

I hope this helps...
Cheers

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO
Last edit: by fivos.

Re: can not find FindMyFont.fst.bin 8 years 8 months ago #648

• koeiekat
  • koeiekat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
  • Thank you received: 1
Alas, it does not work. And now after trying again the older bak files are over-written and are lost. That is all three are the same.
What can I do except making all new indexes as that takes days.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

FmF Ajax Search