Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 2 months ago #111

• koeiekat
  • koeiekat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
  • Thank you received: 1
It would be nice if there were a choice where to install the program and where to keep the index files. Preferably both on an external drive.

Great program by the way!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 2 months ago #112

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Koeiekat,

and thank you for your kind words :)

I don't know which edition of the application you have (Windows or Mac OS) therefore I will try to address your questions / suggestions for both OS's.

1. About the Application installation position/path
a) On Mac OS you can safely move/copy the Application folder whenever you want, just after the default installation is done - but when you run this Application copy, the License file, Application Preferences and log files will still be retrieved from your primary Mac OS disk.
Moreover, each time you install a new Application version, you must remember to do this move/copy again or remove any old versions manually.

b) On MS Windows it's not an easy task to move the Application itself on an external drive, because the automated installer (for Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7) will not handle correctly the uninstall & update procedures of new releases.
You can make a copy of the Application from Program Files to an external drive -if you wish- but when you run this Application copy, the License file, Application Preferences and log files will still be retrieved from your primary Windows disk.

In any case, I think the core Application size is small enough (50-80 MB on both OS) and it's not a problem to keep it on your primary disk.

2. About the Fontsets Index files position/path
You are right! Taking into account that Index files size can grow in the order of GB's (in case you have tenths of thousands of fonts) we must consider to make the index creation path user configurable. We will schedule this feature for a next release of Find my Font.

Thank you for your suggestions! ;)

Fivos

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO

Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 2 months ago #113

• koeiekat
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
Thank you. That was fast! My OS is Windows (both XP and Vista). The idea is that I can have both my fonts and the - running - program on an external drive, so that when traveling I only need to take my drive with me and not my laptop.

I have installed many programs that during installation ask to confirm the default installation path or choose another directory/drive and then, later, in preferences, allow for choosing/changing specific paths for program related files, including the license info etc. So I thought it would be possible. But, I really know nothing about program coding. With me it stopped with Basic. :sick:

Re: Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 2 months ago #114

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Ok, now I better understand what you need.

There is a problem with the scenario you propose: Our licensing system requires each Find my Font License to be installed and activated in a single machine, so even if we change the installer to support configurable paths, the application will not run on the second computer, because the License Activation is performed on the first one.

I'm afraid this is not easy to overcome, the only solution I can think at the moment is (after creating our new release having a configurable FontSet-Index path) to send you another license (for free) to install Find my Font on your second computer.

We also consider the option to modify our Licensing system to allow a single License to be activated on 2 machines but this modification is rather complicated and I don't know if and when it will be implemented.

I will keep you updated about any related Find my Font releases.
Best

Fivos

Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 2 months ago #115

• koeiekat
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
Thanks again. I understand your position on the licensing procedure and thus what I had in mind is impossible. Also a second or third or even fourth license would be no good to me as this would require to install the program on a PC where I am only a quest. Something I would/should not do.

Thanks for your attention. Subject closed.

Re: Installing and index files on external drive 12 years 1 month ago #133

• koeiekat
  • Junior Fonter
  • Junior Fonter
Panic! Help! :sad:

Back on the subject of having the Fontsets Index files position/path. A small disaster happened last night after a Windows Vista update while FindmyFont was running.

Starting FindmyFont again this morning produced a message that said something like 'can't find the fontsets'. I have checked and they are still there where they should be, User ... appdata ... roaming ... findmyfont ... I have copied that whole directory to an external drive as a back-up.

As the total is a 2.3 Gb you can imagine how long it will take to add all these fontsets and indexes again. Is there any way to make FindmyFont aware of the existence of these files? Be it in the user ... directory or on the external drive.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

FmF Ajax Search