TOPIC:

Installation Problem -pls help 8 years 6 months ago #672

• daisym
  • daisym's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I just found out about Find my Font software and was excited to try it out. Purchased and installed the the program but when I click on the desktop shortcut icon nothing happens. I went directly to the installation folder and try running it from there and still nothing. I've tried different things such as running the program as administrator, disabling my antivirus. Uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling and still no go.

I'm running windows 7. Any suggestions??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by daisym. Reason: correction

Re: Installation Problem -pls help 8 years 6 months ago #673

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi,

and thank you for supporting Find my Font.
I can see from our database that your license/product is now activated,
so I hope everything is now OK but I'll try to give you some directions,
just in case the problem persists.

First of all Find my Font is fully tested on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit editions) and a lot of users are using it in this OS.
My first suspicion is that your download is incomplete/broken and the installer somehow missed to install some files or the antivirus software is blocking part of the installation.

Please try the following steps:

1. Download a fresh installer.
You can always download the latest version of Find my Font Pro by entering your License No at the following page:
www.findmyfont.com/index.php/members/product-update

2. Disable your antivirus software

3. Install Find my Font. Try to install with an Admin account - if possible - but it should not actually matter: Any account that can perform an installation on your machine is as good as an admin account.

4. Run Find my Font and activate your license
If you already activated the software in the past, there is no need to activate it again, unless you want to move it to another computer in which case you should follow the Deactivation/Activation procedure described here:
www.findmyfont.com/index.php/forum/activation-issues/669-product-has-already-been-activated-on-a-differ#669

Please let us now if you need further assistance.
Cheers
Fivos

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO

Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Installation Problem -pls help 8 years 6 months ago #674

• daisym
  • daisym's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for replying. Being the techie that I am (or hard headed lol) I figured it out on my own. It was driving me nuts! So I will post my solution here in case it's ever useful to anyone else. After running into this problem last night I downloaded a couple of similar programs and they installed and ran just fine. However I was not happy with those because they did not offer all the features that Find my Font offers. So needless to say I kept digging.

I did a process of elimination. There had to be a conflict somewhere. I rebooted my computer in safe mode, double clicked on Find my Font and to my surprise it freaking opened up!!!! Finally! So, we all know what windows in safe mode does and means (if not google it). So I rebooted back to normal mode. I was sure there had to be a conflict of some kind. Ran msconfig, under services tab I hid all MS services. I disabled all that were left. Rebooted and ran Find my font again and it open up! Great, now I had to find out which one of the services was causing a conflict. So I enabled all my services again, rebooted to get them all started. Then I ran the services app. I stopped one of the possible conflicted services at a time and tried to ran Find my Font til I found which service was preventing Find my Font from opening, running whatever you wanna call it!

As it turns out it was my Wacom Tablet pen service. I have changed it from automatic to manual for the time being. I don't use my table all the time, only when I'm drawing. But at least I got Find my Font to work. I'm thinking it's a port conflict but I'm no expert just guessing. So your help and suggestion is appreciated.

Daisy

Last edit: by daisym.

Re: Installation Problem -pls help 8 years 6 months ago #675

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi again Daisy,

and thank you very much for your investigation, it may help other users too.
We don't use any serial ports but we do use a Socket port by searching [on the first run] for a free one in the range of 1965-2300, maybe this is the problem.
If I discover more about it I'll post there.

Thank you again
F.

PS: If you open the following preferences file (by replacing <your-user-name> with your actual user-name):
c:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\FindMyFont\fmfdata\FindMyFont.opt
You can find the socket port Find my Font is currently using, you can see something like:
socketPort="1965"
You can also change it if you like, to see if you can eliminate the conflict.
[Find my Font sets this port on first run and never change it again.
Just make sure Find my Font is not running, edit the file, save it and then run Find my Font again]

Last edit: by fivos.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds

FmF Ajax Search