• Page:

TOPIC:

Option to save a list of found fonts 8 years 1 week ago #739

• Diko
  • Diko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
While looking for a font through my huge database of FONTs using FindMyFont I discovered that it primarily suggests a lot of fonts.

a) they disappeared in the end of the search with leaving me only three fonts to choose from since obviously I didn't had that FONT.

b) while searching very nice suggestions appeared in the list. So I would love to make so to say collections from different sorts of Fonts. Saving a list would be great as a beginning. Perhaps saving a collection even a better.

You see, our brain most effectively memorizes. So if we had a project where we liked a font from the suggestion list it is more likely to find that font by remembering that search. However we don't always keep work files from different projects... :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Option to save a list of found fonts 8 years 1 week ago #740

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi!

and thank you for the suggestion, it looks like a good idea.

First of all a hint: if you click on "Match Fonts" and you see some interesting fonts while matching is still in progress, you can stop the search at any time by clicking on "Stop Matching" and the list will freeze to the current results.
It may not be the best results (as the final matching pass is not executed) but you may get some interesting similar fonts.

The idea of creating "Favorite Fonts Lists" is really interesting.
We already received a suggestion of creating an "Installed Fonts History" list (to allow a user to uninstall any fonts installed by Find my Font) so we may use a similar functionality to create the user defined "Favorite Lists".

Cheers
Fivos

PS: If you already have a font and want to find some similar ones, you can go to "Browse Fonts" tab, select your font and click on "Match Similar Fonts". As this function is designed also for similarity (and not only for accuracy) it will give you more results than the "Match Fonts" (from image) function.

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diko

Re: Option to save a list of found fonts 8 years 1 week ago #741

• Diko
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Hi again.

Thank you for the swift response. :-)It is really lovely to see adequate answers to one's issues or ideas.
I enjoy very much of the engine that you guys use. IMO it is the best on the market. Additionally so far I always enjoyed perfect support from you. Not a very likely in recent times from other vendors (in both hardware and software fields). Feel free to quote my praise.

I would definitely recommend you to true professional creatives. Your software is not a a simple need, it is a requirement for a successful output in short term periods!

As for the idea:

fivos wrote: First of all a hint: if you click on "Match Fonts" and you see some interesting fonts while matching is still in progress, you can stop the search at any time by clicking on "Stop Matching" and the list will freeze to the current results.

Question: Is it paused and can I resume on the search progress in order to save time? As I see on your site I am one of the about 1/5 of your users that has a database consisting of more than 5k fonts, so time of a search is essential to me.

fivos wrote: The idea of creating "Favorite Fonts Lists" is really interesting.

If you create it it would be lovely to be able to add a name of each save. The best way to be sure to record a specific custom set of fonts: e.g. "The Terminator - movie like" :D:D:D

fivos wrote: We already received a suggestion of creating an "Installed Fonts History" list (to allow a user to uninstall any fonts installed by Find my Font) so we may use a similar functionality to create the user defined "Favorite Lists".

Regarding that - I had like 2 broken fonts or something or at least on them the program crashed, then proposed to ignore the specific font to which the crash occurred. So so far I had ignored two fonts, but can't seem to find the history/ignore list later? Is it available, or can you add a display of them feature?

fivos wrote: PS: If you already have a font and want to find some similar ones, you can go to "Browse Fonts" tab, select your font and click on "Match Similar Fonts". As this function is designed also for similarity (and not only for accuracy) it will give you more results than the "Match Fonts" (from image) function.

That was the first option I found while looking on my agenda. ;-)But thanks for the tip.

Best regards,
Diko :)

Re: Option to save a list of found fonts 8 years 1 week ago #742

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hello Diko,

and thank you very much for the kind words :)
We actually created the font matching engine ourselves and we are really proud of the product, so it's very welcome when our customers appreciate Find my Font and find it useful on everyday graphic design tasks!

Yes, my thought was something like a separate collection for "Installation History" and then a list of "Favorite Fonts" collections containing a "Default" collection and additional collections named by the user.

I don't know how many people will be interested to display the "Ignore Fonts list" but we'll surely think about it ;)
Until then you can find a list of fonts-paths of all "Ignore Fonts" in the following file, between the <FontsBlackList> & </FontsBlackList> tags:
"c:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Roaming\FindMyFont\fmfdata\FindMyFont.opt"

(If you replace <user-name> with your actual Windows user-name, the above gives you the path of the application preferences file)

Thank you again for your suggestions ;)
Cheers
F.

PS: A matching "pause" function is a bit difficult to implement and it may lead to a bit of confusion regarding less advanced users.
PS2: Regarding matching speed: I suppose you have already created the associated indices on your Fontsets? If not, please do because it will speed-up a lot the matching operation.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Diko

Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Option to save a list of found fonts 6 years 5 days ago #840

• Diko
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Any update here, like do you plan implementing any of those soon? Now that you have the mobile version done....

Re: Option to save a list of found fonts 6 years 4 days ago #841

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Diko wrote: Any update here, like do you plan implementing any of those soon? Now that you have the mobile version done....

Hi Diko,
there are still many updates pending regarding the mobile version (especially UI) plus a major update to the online font database, so we can't promise yet a final date for the font lists feature.

Last edit: by fivos.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds

FmF Ajax Search