• Page:

TOPIC:

Won't identify font already on my system 8 years 1 month ago #731

• Jmartz
  • Jmartz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
First of all, this is an outstanding program! I love it!

I had a good quality image of a font (DUKE) but when I searched for it it would not find it on my system. But when I did online search DUKE was the first one that popped up? Can I do something else to be sure it finds them on my system? Attached is the picture I was using.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jmartz. Reason: Picture

Re: Won't identify font already on my system 8 years 1 month ago #732

• harris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 51
Hi,

Your image is of excellent quality. It took me 2 sec to identify the font (DUKE) on my computer.

So what did you do wrong?

The short answer:
You probably did not tell the program where you have all your fonts. You have to specify the folder that contains the DUKE font using the command Fonts > FontSets Setup > Add FontSet.

The long answer:
A FontSet is a collection of fonts located in a folder (directory) on your computer. FontSets are a fundamental part or 'Find my Font'. The program looks for matching fonts in the FontSets you have defined.
When 'Find my Font' is run for the first time, it creates a FontSet that contains the system fonts. If you have more fonts on your computer or even on CDs or external drives you should create FontSets with these fonts, so that the program can be searching those fonts too when looking for a matching font.

It seems you have not defined FontSets for all the fonts on your computer. Please use the command Fonts > FontSets Setup > Add FontSet to specify all the folders that contain fonts on your computer. Once you have done that, use the Create/Update Index command to make the font matching super fast.

More details can be found in the Find my Font help: Help > How to Procedures > How to Create / Use FontSets

Let me know if the above fixes your problem.

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jmartz

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Re: Won't identify font already on my system 8 years 1 month ago #737

• Jmartz
  • Jmartz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Thank you! The Update the font set fixed the problem! I didn't know I had to do that, I just assumed that new fonts added to my system would be searched automatically. Thanks again! This program is really awesome!

Re: Won't identify font already on my system 8 years 1 month ago #738

• harris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thank you for your kind words.

If you need any further information you can search the online help that comes with the Find my Font program.

And of course there's always this forum.

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Won't identify font already on my system 5 years 2 months ago #966

• Pippin Decals
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
I have had the same problem . I knew i had the font so i made a high res jpeg of it just to test the program and it didnt find it , And i did the update for the fonts folder per instructions .. Another issue i found was i have 1700+- and the Find My Font claims i Have like 7600. I made sure the index was updated and correct where my fonts are located.

Finally why is it that Find My Font only searches for a max number of fonts and doesnt find the one i know is online that a program Called "What the Font " finds it .This happens many times. And its frustrating to see a free program work better Than one WE all have paid for . I do love this program but when it works . And there needs to be clearer info for the settings section so we get better results when we do search .

Won't identify font already on my system 5 years 2 months ago #967

• harris
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Hi,

I knew i had the font so i made a high res jpeg of it just to test the program and it didnt find it

First of all, you don't need high-res images. Generally they will not improve the results. 500 - 700 pixels height is more than enough.
If you have the font and have specified its folder in the program's settings, IT WILL FIND IT. If you have a case that does not work, please contact me and I'll investigate the case.

Another issue i found was i have 1700+- and the Find My Font claims i Have like 7600.

Please note that Find My Font will also count the Bold, Italic, Bold-Italic, Oblique etc as separate fonts. So 7600 is not a false claim. Arial is not a single font for the program. Arial Regular, Arial Italic, Arial Bold, Arial Bold Italic are all different fonts (they are different files too). What you should count is the font files (*.ttf) you have and not the fonts.

Finally why is it that Find My Font only searches for a max number of fonts and doesnt find the one i know is online that a program Called "What the Font " finds it .

I am not sure I understand the question. What do you mean by <em>a max number of fonts</em>? The online search is against a font database that contains fonts from many foundries. More details can be found in this blog article . Our font database contains about 90% of existing fonts and we keep adding to it and improving it frequently. It is possible that a specific font cannot be identified (especially newer fonts that did not make it to the font DB yet).

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments

Harris Kisseoglou
Operations Manager
Softonium Developments
Last edit: by harris.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds

FmF Ajax Search