Temporary FONT "Activate" list 8 years 2 weeks ago #743

• Diko
  • Diko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi again.

My problem:
I am sorry for bothering you. But I am left with no choice. So far the Font Recognizer was FindMyFont. The very best solution according to the web and confirmed with personal experience.

My Font Manager WAS Extensis Suitcase Fusion 6 (on trial), for which I had to wait 6 months before they finally updated their windows plugins for Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.

I chose them because they were (according to the web) the best FONT Manager and possibly ARE the only to have a "temp. activate" feature, for just when you need that font. You can imagine that for a library of 201 thousands fonts it is a requirement to use such a feature. So far so good.

However when I installed it it asked me to put fonts in a vault, which I did, in order to be fully complaiant with their suggestions to get most efficient and fast as possible.

Now the end result/problem:

1/ Extensis SF6 can't effectively deal with such a huge number of fonts. I don't blame them. But couldn't find any limit recommendation at all.

2/ I had issues described here .
In the end even after I removed that inadequately written software I had to find and clean the mess they left without even consciously to have activated all those fonts. No warning, no indication, nothing.

My solution:
Here I am complaining and bitching all around, but actually I prefer to write to you guys as my last hope.

I don't want you to make FindMyFont a font manager, but be the second in the world to have that feature ;-)

IMO it's not that hard ( as long as there exist a windows API for that ). I see you already have implemented it as a perm solution. Can you make a feature for a list of temporary activated/installed by the program (with a right click on any displayed in the program font)? In that list next to the name (and preview) of the FONT 2 buttons. Remove and Perm install.

I believe that if you manage to pull that up you might easily rise the price of the next version, because while looking for another software solution I found many many users that needed that one in particular.

Fonts don't need to be anywhere else than in their original location. A file could be (I guess) copied in the WIN FONT folder with the corresponding record in the reg key and a record in your list (simple xml perhaps?).

The point is just to have a nice window list with all currently active temp fonts and possibility to either remove them or to make them permanent (just by deleting it/them from the xml).

The best part: No need to restart anything any more when temp font is being installed.

Lovely isn't it?

What do you think?

Thank you in advance for your time considering that feature. :-)

Have a great day, guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Diko. Reason: I saw there was an install button already....

Re: Temporary FONT "Activate" list 8 years 2 weeks ago #744

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Diko,

I read carefully your message and the links you provided. I already told you in your other suggestion that we plan to add an "Installed Fonts List" anyway, to allow the user to manage them.

In the discussion of Adobe forums ( here ) I see that some people are talking of Auto-Activation. I suppose you don't ask that, because this will really bring us in the fields of an actual font manager.

About the temp. installation you suggest, I know that it's theoretically possible in Windows (by copying a font in Windows fonts directory and enabling it only for current session) but it has some obvious drawbacks:

a) If you temp.-enabled a font, stored in FmF-Temp.Installed-XML-list etc. and later you closed FmF (or FmF crashes) and you restart your Windows, this will leave you with a font not seen by any Apps while the font-file is still in your Windows fonts folder and the font name is still in FmF-Temp.Installed-XML-list. My opinion is that this operation is not very stable and will lead to a number of issues and inconsistencies when something goes wrong.

b) FmF is provided in two editions: Windows & Mac OS. So far we managed to keep the capabilities of the 2 editions equivalent, but I don't think Mac OS support something similar to Windows temp. font installation.

Why don't just forget the temp. font installation and stick with normal permanent font installation?
When you install a font using FmF, it actually perform all temp. font installation steps + the permanent font installation (to allow all Apps to see the font after you restart Windows).

I suggest to add an "FmF Installed fonts list" plus the following actions:
1) Uninstall a font of the list
2) Remove a font from the list (so you make it "permanent" in the sense that it now requires a manual uninstall)

Do you think this is OK for your needs?
Do temp. installation has something more to offer? (except of the troubles I mentioned above)

Fivos Vilanakis - Softonium Developments CTO

Last edit: by fivos.

Re: Temporary FONT "Activate" list 8 years 1 week ago #749

• Diko
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Hi Fivos!

Sorry for the delayed response.

fivos wrote: I suggest to add an "FmF Installed fonts list" plus the following actions:
1) Uninstall a font of the list
2) Remove a font from the list (so you make it "permanent" in the sense that it now requires a manual uninstall)

Actually the quoted above and offered by you is EXACTLY what I meant.:-)Please excuse me if I hadn't expressed clearly enough.

Keeping a feature/function as simple as possible will always avoid a possibility for a bug.

Last edit: by Diko.

Re: Temporary FONT "Activate" list 6 years 3 weeks ago #839

• Diko
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Any update on this, guys? I see you managed to finish the mobile version. So perhaps you could into this, now?

Re: Temporary FONT "Activate" list 6 years 3 weeks ago #842

• fivos
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 73
Hi Diko,
as I told you to your other message here , there are still many updates pending regarding the mobile version plus a major update to the online font database, so this feature must wait too, we can't yet promise a final date for it.
Thank you for your patience! :)

Re: Temporary FONT "Activate" list 6 years 3 weeks ago #843

• Diko
  • Fresh Fonter
  • Fresh Fonter
Yes, but this is like 2 years ago.... :-(

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

FmF Ajax Search